Friday, August 21, 2009

I could be a weather person!

People laugh at me when I tell them, "It's going to rain today" or "We're definitely going to get some snow out of this storm". But they stop laughing when it comes true. It's like my body has a built in barometer or something. I've been like this since I was a teenager and it's all thanks to the fibromyalgia and arthritis. My body starts hurting days before a storm ever hits us and the pain intensifies as the weather does.
All in all, I hate this! I would really like to enjoy the bad weather along with the good weather, but my body just doesn't cooperate. I used to love to sit out in the rain when we would have a thunder storm. It was always such a peaceful time to me. And there's no better time to take a nap than when you can hear the rain hitting the roof and cascading down. But as of late, I'm just not able to enjoy the weather. My body just hurts too much, and from all types of weather.
If it's rainy or cold weather, my body aches like the worst toothache imaginable all over my body. If it's a particularly bad storm system coming in, my hips and back hurt to the extent that I can barely walk. I hate the summer time because the heat (90-100 degrees F) causes me terrible migraine headaches. And any type of electrical storm does the same thing. Any time we have bad lightening, I get a bad migraine. And it can last for as long as the storm system does!
But my body hates the winter because the cold, rain, snow, etc... causes such widespread body pain that I often am in bed for days at a time, huddled under my electric blanket.
Right now, it's the start of hurricane season which ushers in a flurry of activity in my body. Even though I will never see the hurricane, this far inland, and may not even see rain from it, my body "sensors" go off as if I'm in the eye of the storm. Yet for some reason, I usually feel my best when I'm on vacation at the beach. I have NO idea what that's about!
I remember when I was a little girl, my father would always talk about moving us to New Mexico. See he has RA and OA rather badly. He would always talk about moving out west where it's 'dry air' and warmer temperatures in the winter. I wonder if this would work for me. I realize that I probably would not be able to handle the migraine headaches because of the heat there, but I wonder how my body would react, or if it would at all. If anyone is reading this who lives out west, I'd love to hear how the weather there effects your arthritis and fibromyalgia.
Maybe one day I'll live some place where I'm not in such agony over nature, but for now I'm forcasting rain for the next 2 days........pain to follow!

1 comment:

Trisha Pearson said...

It's amazing how you can tell what the weather is going to do before it starts to do it. I often feel weather changes too, but I don't think I'm as sensitive to them as you are. That is ASTOUNDING that you can feel the hurricanes when they are way out there. Not good for you personally, but totally amazing. I think I'm going to start journaling how I'm feeling along with the weather systems out in the Pacific. Maybe they are affecting me and I don't even know it.

I, too, wonder what a drier, more stable climate would be like for me. And I also feel better at the ocean, even though it is damp and chilly there. It's very strange!