Friday, February 4, 2011

From Fatigued to Fantastic - A Book Recommendation

I finally got around to reading From Fatigued to Fantastic by Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D. and I'm very glad I did. Dr. Teitelbaum has treated thousands of fibromyalgia patients and even suffered a bout of CFS/FMS himself so he knows what it's like and, most importantly, believes that CFS and FMS are real conditions. I thought his theories about the causes and/or underlying conditions make a lot of sense and the treatments are very doable and affordable (provided you can find a doctor to prescribe them). He does recommend products that he helped develop but, as he donates all his royalties to charity, I didn't feel like the purpose of the book was to promote his products. Another thing I really like about Dr. Teitelbaum's approach is that he recommends use of both traditional drugs and alternative therapies and he gives an overview of each treatment. The more I learn about fibromyalgia, the more I feel a variety of seemingly subtle and unrelated treatments is going to help more than that one magic pill that researchers can't seem to come up with anyway.

Dr. Teitelbaum recommends a SHIN protocol

S - Sleep: The Foundation of Getting Well

H - Hormonal Support

I - Infections: Destroy Your Body's Hidden Invaders

N - Nutrition: Optimizing Your Body's Ability to Heal

At the end of each chapter, there is a list of questions to answer and directions for marking off the treatments to create your own treatment protocol. Some of the supplements and natural treatments you can start on your own right away. I've been taking the Revitalizing Sleep Formula, Ribose and adrenal support formula and, although I'm still having migraines and flares, I'm feeling much better than I generally do in February.

After reading this book, I feel much better prepared for discussions with my doctor about possible treatments, I feel much more hopeful that I can and will feel better and I feel like I understand how declining hormones - progesterone, estrogen and thyroid - could be what's making my fibro worse.

If you'd like to learn more about any of the From Fatigued to Fantastic products or research, Dr. Teitelbaum's website is http://www.endfatigue.com/. (Just a hint - you can find good deals on some of these products at Amazon.)

No comments: